Moving on .

I've been blogging for a few years now. Sometimes sporadically sometimes daily, but almost regularly. I have finally separated from XSU and starting to live a new life on my own. The original blog helped me get through the painful process of the end of the marriage, along with some bumpy roads dealing with a critically ill child in the midst of the end of marriage mess. Now this blog will see me through the new paths and adventures that life has to offer. Restructuring my life. My way. My experiences, ventings, musings on that whole big and not so big deal.

February 15, 2010

Lost over Loafers

I'm not one of those Carrie Bradshaw type shoe people. I don't lust after shoes, I don't really go out of my way to shop for shoes. This may be where the librarian in me comes out. I have your black pumps, your navy pumps, a couple of pairs of black dress heels, the obligatory red shoes, a bunch of pairs of sandals for the summer and may be one or two other pairs but that's about it.

I do have this one pair of loafers that I have loved and worn for years. I've had them so long I am sure it must have been late 20th century when I bought them. They came from Arnold Churgin Shoes in Calgary - my favourite shoe store. Okay I like shoes enough to have a favourite shoe store - that I shop at once every 5-10 years when I head to Calgary to visit friends and family.
This pair of loafers was a beautiful leather, comfortable beyond belief, the perfect heel. I wore them all the time - with jeans, or dress pants. I put them away a couple of years ago, after probably replacing the heels at least twice - because I felt I *really* needed to buy something new, something a little more 21st century. I haven't found that pair yet. They're either ugly, wrong kind of heel, they don't fit my foot properly, ( I have high arches, and size 6 feet) or they make me look like a librarian. - don't start.

I decided to wear them this weekend - no snow on the ground - pavement anyway - because I was tired of boots and heavy footwear. As I was driving I thought my foot felt a little cold and the shoe a little thin . They just didn't feel quite right.

When I got home I took the shoes off and had a look at the sole. Oh yeah... they are pretty much worn right through. The top of the shoe still looks great - I polished them often, cleaned them, but nothing could save the sole. So, I will have to pitch these favourite shoes and this will force me to find *something.*

Who knew one could feel so lost over a little pair of black leather loafers. A pair of CFMs - oh yeah... but loafers?

No comments: