Moving on .

I've been blogging for a few years now. Sometimes sporadically sometimes daily, but almost regularly. I have finally separated from XSU and starting to live a new life on my own. The original blog helped me get through the painful process of the end of the marriage, along with some bumpy roads dealing with a critically ill child in the midst of the end of marriage mess. Now this blog will see me through the new paths and adventures that life has to offer. Restructuring my life. My way. My experiences, ventings, musings on that whole big and not so big deal.

March 05, 2010

Drinking with Deputies

The Deputy Minister is the highest ranking official in a government department on the organization chart. The DM as they are known reports directly to the Minister, the elected politician. Unless one works in the DM's office, reports to the DM or drives his car, one rarely sees him/her.

I was at a scotch table yesterday with four of them. Two men, two women... one married couple now there's power - and one couple known as an "item." Unbelievable. To make it more interesting - one of them was the DM in my department. I didn't know him, didn't even know his name. Luckily, I managed to escape that fact being known. whew... dodged that bullet. I was siting with his wife on one side of me, another high ranking government executive across from me and a woman who ran yet another DM's office from another department. As RJ says... "randomness eh?" I ended up getting an invitation to attend a perfume launch on the Hill - Parliament Hill - for a perfume made from Afghan flowers with all proceeds going to help women in Afghanistan. I might just go!

I told them where I worked, and did my pitch for information, research and libraries in government in general Whatta a rush. Then we went on to the whiskeys. Sublime.

Here's what we ate and drank -

Century Reserved 21 yr old Canadian whisky $40 bottle
with smoked salmon on rye points and fig jam

Basil Hayden 8 year old Kentucky Bourbon straight Kentucky whisky $55 bottle
with grilled chicken skewers basted with chipotle barbecue sauce.

Yamazaki 18 yr old single malt whisky Japan $135 bottle
wild boar stew grilled herbed polenta

Isla of Jura 16 yr old single malt scotch whisky $80
date and walnut phyllo roll with Greek yogurt and honey

Glenmorangie "The Astar" Highland Single Malt Scotch whisky $125
Grana Pandano cheese

Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whisky $65
extra dark 60% chocolate truffle

The food was mere tastings as well. Favourites? surprisingly the Canadian whisky, the Irish was a treat, and the Jura.

I will treat myself again. I had a lovely time.


Now off I go to Scrap and Spa weekend. With jello shots made and packed! See you Sunday!

No comments: