Moving on .

I've been blogging for a few years now. Sometimes sporadically sometimes daily, but almost regularly. I have finally separated from XSU and starting to live a new life on my own. The original blog helped me get through the painful process of the end of the marriage, along with some bumpy roads dealing with a critically ill child in the midst of the end of marriage mess. Now this blog will see me through the new paths and adventures that life has to offer. Restructuring my life. My way. My experiences, ventings, musings on that whole big and not so big deal.

August 12, 2010

Bacon and fire fighters

I nearly burned my house down today. All it took was five pieces of bacon in the corelle glass skillet on my stove. Blondie, get the soon to be fire fighter. He'll love this story.

I stayed home from work today and decided to make myself a big breakfast. I took the bacon out, put it in the pan, turned the stove on and went looking for the eggs, bread, cheese and stuff. Now I *thought* I had turned the stove down and went upstairs to doing something - as if I can remember what now. I took a few minutes longer than I should have and then remembered - OH! coffee will be perking, bacon will be sizzling.

Sizzling?!?! It was so smoky in my kitchen I could barely see! And it happend!
So... I picked the skillet up off the element. DUMB ass move that was. It wasn't hot so I didn't burn any skin off this time! NO fire. Just a whole lot of smoke. Luckily I have the brand new exhaust system over the stove and turned that baby up on high so the smoke was directed up out of the kitchen at that point.

I took the baking soda out of the cupboard where I keep it for stove fires - yeah... I've done this before but never with grease... and dumped about a quarter of a box of soda all over the blackened bacon to see if the smoke would dissipate. It did. I am smart enough to know - no water! The two new fans in the bathrooms seemed to help as well.

By this point the smoke is clearing so I took the skillet outside and left it on the the little table I have out there. I had to open the windows to clear the rest of the smoke, so my nice cool house heated and humidified up in under twenty minutes. It's took the following 4-5 hours to cool the place down again.

At this point you may well ask "Smoke alarm?" Oh yes. There is one right in the kitchen. I had taken the battery out one evening when my house guest was here a couple of weeks ago. Something I had cooked in my oven - I think it was the Shephards Pie must have over flowed the pan and there was grease at the bottom of my oven causing the smoke detector to go off every time I opened the oven door, ( more smoky burned food) until once again, I quelled it with baking soda. I had forgotten to put the battery back. I know, I know, I know.

I was seriously impressed with all the smoke. And how quickly it hit and rose up to the ceiling. I could see how it could have gone really bad if I had left it any longer. I have a guardian angel looking after me. It still smells a bit in here.

On the other hand, hunky fire fighters might have arrived to save the scene and resue things. On the other hand my scrapbooks could have been ruined and I would have cried for weeks.

I'll try and think of other ways to meet the hunky firefighters. And there wasn't any bacon left for round two either.


Anonymous said...

YIKES, it only takes a second doesn't it? Wow, you do have a guardian angel....don't over use him.

Hope you have smoke detectors on ALL the floors of Chez Marie....

glad you are okay.


Anonymous said...

Yikes, girlfriend. I am sure that the kid will have a lecture for you if you want one. LOL!

I am happy that all turned out well for you. Never walk away.

love and hugs,
~ b